Ready to get started? Download an application to enroll your child today!
As a parent, you recognize the potential of your child better than anyone. By giving them the opportunity to be part of Big Brothers Big Sisters, you’re starting them down a path to an even brighter, more promising future.
Could your little one could use a Big?
It all starts with the right role models. And Big Brothers Big Sisters is the place to start a relationship with one. For nearly 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has been changing the lives of children in Wood and Clark County.
Through our program, we recruit, screen, match and support mentoring relationships that have changed the lives of hundreds of young people across Central Wisconsin — one Little at a time.
You’ll feel the impact as much as your child.
A national study for Big Brothers Big Sisters found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- are more confident
- are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- do better in school
- get along better with their family and friends
- feel better about themselves1
You know what’s best for your child. So we’ll need your help from the start, providing information about your child’s strengths and needs, and ultimately approving the Big Brother or Big Sister match. But your role doesn’t end there.
When it comes to the future of our children and the well-being of our communities, we’re all in this together. So it should come as no surprise that we need the parents and guardians of Littles to be involved every step of the way, starting with the initial match.
Not only will you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you’ll also approve the selection of the Big Brother or Big Sister. Once the match is made, you remain closely involved in many ways, including:
- Approving activities and outings for your child and their Big
- Asking your child questions about those outings, and sharing what you learn with the agency staff
- Reporting your child’s progress and milestones to the agency on a regular basis (Big Brothers Big Sisters will contact you, but we welcome your feedback any time)
Safety from the start.
Your child’s safety is extremely important to us. Big Brothers Big Sisters conducts a thorough background check on every volunteer in our program, and every relationship is closely monitored and supported by our professionally trained staff.
Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence require each volunteer to complete an extensive screening process that includes:
- Completion of a formal written application
- Background, reference and insurance checks
- An in-person interview
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s development
Big Brothers Big Sisters also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child’s Big. It’s the best way to build a strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future success.