When a child is enrolled in our program, they are asked to fill out a questionnaire that helps our specially trained staff get to know them. What do they like to do in their free time? What do they hope to do with a Big? What challenges are they looking to overcome? What things about themselves do they want to celebrate?
A 12-year-old boy who has been on our waiting list for the last year answered his questions like this:
- What would you like to do with a Big? Play videogames, go bowling and fishing, swim at the YMCA (something Bigs and Littles can do even if they aren’t members!), hang out at the library, go out to eat, do science experiments
- If I had $100, I would… give it to charity or help poor people
- What do you secretly wish? That people didn’t go to war
- What would be the best thing about getting a big? Having someone who wants to play video games with me or who would help me build things
An 8-year-old girl who is also waiting for a Big said:
- What would you like to do with a Big? Paint, read books, watch movies, ride bikes, play on the swings, and do puzzles
- I want my Big to… help put dresses on my dolls
- What is the best thing about you? I can make really silly faces
- What would be the best thing about getting a big? Having someone to just play with!
Every child on our waiting list is unique and their answers vary greatly… that’s why our staff work so hard to ensure matches are made between Bigs and Littles who have common interests!